A permanent residence visa allows you to migrate to Australia and to then remain in the country indefinitely. However, the visa itself will expire in relation to your ability to travel in and out of Australia, and is generally valid for 5 years after grant. If you wish to travel in and out of Australia after your permanent residence visa expires you might consider obtaining Australian citizenship and an Australian passport assuming eligible. If not as a non-citizen you will require a valid visa to allow you to re-enter Australia. The Resident Return visa enables current, or former, Australian permanent residents to travel overseas and return to Australia as permanent residents.
You may be eligible for one of these visas if you are:
- an Australian permanent resident
- a former Australian permanent resident whose last permanent visa was not cancelled
- a former Australian citizen who lost or renounced your citizenship.
As with all visas there are a range of criteria that must be met to be considered for grant of one of these visas. Eligibility for the different resident return visa options varies depending upon how long you have spent within Australia in the 5 years prior to application and whether there are any compelling and compassionate circumstances in respect of absences.
Depending upon your circumstances and your ability to meet the eligibility requirements a Resident Return Visa may be granted for a period of:
- 5 years: you must have spent over 2 of the last 5 years living in Australia as a permanent resident
- 1 year: if you have spent less than 2 of the previous 5 years in Australia, and are able to provide appropriate evidence and reasons for your absences, you may be eligible for a 1 year RRV visa
- 3 months: if you have spent less than 2 of the previous 5 years in Australia, and are able to provide appropriate evidence and reasons for your absences, you may be eligible for a 3 month RRV visa enabling you to return to Australia.
Where an individual has spent less than 2 of the previous 5 years in Australia you will be required to provide reasons for this and show that you have substantial ties to Australia. Depending upon the circumstances a Resident Return Visa may be granted for either 3 months or 1 year. Taylor Made Immigration can provide a service to assist you with a Resident Return Visa application. We can advise on the documentary evidence and submissions required as part of the application, check your documentation and submit the application on your behalf.
Another option is the Former Resident Visa you may (aditional selection criteria must be satisfied) be eligible for this visa if you:
- are under 45 years of age and, spent at least nine years in Australia as a permanent resident before you turned 18 years of age
- served at least three months (some exceptions) in the Australian Defence Force before 19 January 1981